About My Project...


As a kid every time I would cross a river in India, be it the Ganga or the Yamuna or any of their tributaries, I would have a feeling that the water levels of these rivers were receding... my heart would sink seeing the industrial pollutants making their way into these rivers...

On the contrary the feeling I would get seeing these rivers close to their origins… especially the Ganga in Rishikesh is indescribable… no pollution, no signs of water level depletion … so calm and so serene… the scent of freshness in the air…

I am documenting the life around river Ganga… the life as Ganga sees and feels it... the culture the river has supported for thousands of years, the people it has sustained over the centuries, and also the human interference it has suffered over the last one century or so...

Towards that I am following the river from its origins high up in the Himalayas all the way to where it merges with the Indian Ocean. All the while I am meeting with people who have been close to the river to narrate their feelings about the river, what they feel about the part Ganga has played in the Indian civilization and culture, what we human beings have done or could do or have not done to save this mighty river…

My final aim is to narrate the whole documentary as a multimedia and a book. I invite anyone and everyone to please help me with suggestions... critique... and hospitality. I would love to hear your suggestions and incorporate them into my project.


Note: The contents of this blog including the pictures are copyrighted and may not be copied or downloaded without prior permission of Rahul Rathi.
Disclaimer: This is a personal project of Rahul Rathi. He is not responsible for the accuracy of the contents here in and may not be sited as a reference without confirming the accuracy.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Published in Hindustan (National Daily in India)

My story has been published in Hindustan - a National Daily in India.

A correspondent from the daily came to know about my work. I was interviewed during my last trip to India and my story was published in the newspaper of May 26th, 2010.

The title reads "गंगा बचाने निकला एनआरआई भागीरथ" (An NRI Bhagirath* comes forward to save Ganga). *Bhagirath was the king who brought Ganga to earth from heaven, according to Hindu mythology. He was one of the forefathers of Lord Ram, of the epic Ramayana. And an NRI is a Non-Resident Indian.

1 comment: